Intrepid Museum COVID-19 FAQs
Gaiters, bandannas, scarves and masks with valves are not currently considered acceptable forms of face coverings and are not permissible under Museum policy as the CDC studies their effectiveness. Display of profane, obscene or injurious language, texts or graphics for public view is prohibited. Visitors displaying such language on face coverings will be asked to either change the garment or leave the Museum property.
Visitors who are unable to wear a face covering and fall under our policy exceptions must wear a face shield while on Museum property. A limited number of face shields will be available at the entrance for a suggested $1 donation for those with a medical condition or disability that prevents the safe use of a face mask.Face covering policy exceptions:
- Anyone under the age of two
- Anyone who wishes to eat or drink may remove their face covering to do so, provided the patron observes social distancing guidelines, performs the necessary hand hygiene and replaces the face covering when finished
If you are unable to wear a face covering or face shield, you will not be permitted to visit the Museum at this time. However, we welcome you to explore the Museum virtually or return at a later date when face coverings are no longer required.
- Frequent sanitizing: Enhanced cleaning of all surfaces throughout the day, with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces
- Social distancing: Strict six-foot social distancing will be enforced for staff and visitors
- Hand sanitizer stations: Over 200 hand sanitizers are available throughout the Museum
- Employee health checks: Museum employees will perform daily health self-monitoring before coming to work, in accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New York State and New York City guidelines
- Employee wellness: Staff members experiencing any symptoms will be required to stay home and self-quarantine for 14 days
Amenities such as food service, 3D Films, 3D Simulators and retail are also now open. Audio Tours and some Simulators are temporarily unavailable. These will reopen at a future date.
Instead, the Museum has implemented numerous preventative protocols and measures recommended by the WHO and CDC for the safety of all. Our policy was informed and confirmed by independent infectious disease experts, as well as in consultation with other organizations in the NYC Museums Reopening Task Force. The Intrepid Museum may alter this policy as needed depending on future revisions to New York City, New York State or federal guidelines.
- Cleaning procedures are rigorous throughout the Museum with extra attention given to high-traffic and high-touch areas, including handrails, benches, handles, restrooms, garbage bins and more
- All exhibits are cleaned and disinfected every hour in which the Museum is open to the public, as well as nightly
- Elevators are cleaned and disinfected every hour during Museum hours
- More than 200 hand sanitizing stations have been placed throughout the Museum complex
- Protective barriers have been added to our box office, Information Desk and other customer service locations for the safety of visitors and staff